It is quite strange to read history of an event that took place not more then a decade ago. But the journey from 1$=1,309.03Bitcoins to touching the mark of 1bitcoin=1000$+ is not a short journey lets revisit few Important events happened in this short period.
- It all started back in 2007 when Satoshi Nakamoto began working on the Bitcoin concept. While he/they is/are on record as living in Japan, it is speculated that Nakamoto may be a group of people.
- August 18, 2008 Bitcoin.org is registered The domain was registered at anonymousspeech.com, a site that allows users to anonymously register domain names and currently accepts Bitcoins.
- January 12, 2009
The first transaction of Bitcoin currency, in block 170, takes place between Satoshi and Hal Finney, a developer and cryptographic activist.
- October 5, 2009 An exchange rate is established
New Liberty Standard publishes a Bitcoin exchange rate that establishes the value of a Bitcoin at US$1 = 1,309.03 BTC, using an equation that includes the cost of electricity to run a computer that generated Bitcoins.
- May 22, 2010
10,000 BTC spent on pizza.
The first, real-world transaction using Bitcoins takes place when a Jacksonville, Florida programmer, Laszlo Hanyecz, offers to pay 10,000 Bitcoins for a pizza on the Bitcoin Forum. At the time, the exchange rate put the purchase price for the pizza at around US$25.
- August 15, 2010 Exploit generates 184 billion BitcoinsA vulnerability in the Bitcoin system that causes Bitcoins to be improperly verified is discovered and exploited, resulting in the generation of 184 billion Bitcoins.
- February 9, 2011 Bitcoin reaches parity with US dollarBitcoin touches US$1.00/BTC at MtGox[Currency Exchange], reaches parity with the US dollar for the first time.
- April 16, 2011 TIME publishes article on BitcoinTIME magazine publishes an article about Bitcoin, Online Cash Bitcoin Could Challenge Governments, Bank.
- September 3, 2012 Bitfloor hacked for 24,000 BTC
The fourth largest US Bitcoin exchange, Bitfloor, is hacked and loses 24,000 BTC (valued at approximately US$250,000 when the theft took place), which was the majority of the on-hand Bitcoins. Compromised servers result in access to encrypted backup files of wallet keys. All exchange operations are paused.
- April 2013 Bitcoin surpasses $100
The value of Bitcoin on MtGox and other exchanges surpasses US$100
- November 19, 2013 Bitcoin goes above $1000
Bitcoin price surges to a record of US$1242 after Senate hearings.